Thursday, May 31, 2012

Ryder re-commits to Bombers

Updated May 30, 2012 22:15:26

Essendon has pulled off a signing coup by securing the services of star ruckman Paddy Ryder for a further four seasons.

The 24-year-old will be a Bomber until the end of the 2016 season, ending speculation that he could return to his native Western Australia.

"I love this place and everyone that's involved in this footy club, I've also got great mates here and coaches that I really look up to," Ryder said in a statement on the club website.

"I'm a big family man and it has always been on my mind about going home and being closer to my family but I've made the right decision for my family in Melbourne, my partner and also because I know the Essendon Football Club is the place for me to get the best out of myself."

Coach James Hird said that Ryder's influence for Essendon is felt both on and off the pitch.

"We're very excited that Patrick has decided to stay with Essendon for another four years and hopefully help us have some success at this great club," he said.

"It's not just his form on the field but also what he does off the field that's impressive. He's a really important part of our team and our culture.

"Most importantly, it's exciting to have re-signed so many of our core group with David Zaharakis, Michael Hurley, Jake Melksham and now Paddy Ryder all committing to the club in long term deals recently."

The Bombers drafted 126-game Ryder seventh overall in 2005.

Tags: australian-football-league, sport, essendon-3040, vic, australia

First posted May 30, 2012 22:15:26


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment